The church of Santa Maria in Monserrato was built in 1506 in the Campo Marzio area of Rome by the Confraternity of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Montserrat in Catalonia, following the construction of a pilgrims’ hospice. Antonio da Sangallo the younger was given the commission for the design of the church, which can be visited to this day, in 1518.
Due to a lack of resources, the work was interrupted several times, but despite this, the architects who took over the construction decided not to change the original guidelines. In 1821 the church was restructured by Giuseppe Camporese. The last restoration work was carried out in 1929.
The church is home to important works by Annibale Carracci and Sansovino, such as San Diego d'Alcantara, while the portico of the Spanish College contains a portrait bust of Pedro Foix Montoya sculpted by Gian Lorenzo Bernini.